An incredible journey…

Welcome to our new website, and hopefully the first of many blog-style ‘posts’ loosely-related to what we do in the shop, at home and for fun; which is hopefully, also, of general interest!…

The subject of my first post is the start of an ‘incredible journey’ of our eldest daughter’s (now, partly, youngest daughter’s!) bed. This antique ‘sleigh’ bed (ever so slightly shorter than a standard single) was originally bought off eBay for about £50 (plus courier costs via www.shiply.com) a couple of years ago as her first proper bed. Of course, it was duly painted in our wonderful ‘Annie Sloan’ Chalk Paint™:

Now, we love our little 3-bed house. It is close to town yet has land all around it and feels like it could be in the countryside (apart from the odd rumble of a passing train to Hereford!) However, 1960’s bungalows have their downsides and the main one is small bedroom sizes. This isn’t too much of a problem in the older daughters room (above) but as our youngest started outgrowing her cot we faced a problem! Where on earth to fit her bed in!?… in a room of barely much more than 2m x 2m there was no wall it could lie along due to the location of the door opening, radiator etc…

SO, the ‘long and short’ of it is that as older daughters bed already had a bespoke mattress, obtained from the wonderful ‘County Sleep Shop’ just a few doors down from us, we found that miraculously it would fit little ‘un’s room perfectly – if we took the doors off her built in wardrobe (another typical ‘asset of a ’60’s house!) and built it into there placing it down the side of the room!

Free-standing wardrobe duly obtained (thanks to ‘Supermarket Surplus’ in Market Drayton) the next stage was to actually obtain a new bed for the eldest. So, Wayfair provided a near-perfect ‘daybed’ (from Holland) and again? The wonderful ‘Sleep Shop’ sorted us out with a bespoke length mattress (turns out ‘euro’ mattresses are 10cm LONGER than standard! The idea was to give some continuity between the rooms (as we already have with our ‘waist-height’ tongue-and-groove cladding in Duck Egg Blue throughout the house) and so we wanted to give this ‘off-the-shelf’ bed a ‘built-in’ look too. With only 20cm to play with either side it wasn’t enough to do much with and so we just boxed it in creating a useful shelf at either end (for bedside lamps and cuddlies etc!)…

So, the ‘old’ bed was now free to be fitted into the space available. Unfortunately the space was not quite wide enough for both ‘sides’ of the bed to fit (as a ‘freestanding’ bed) and so we had to properly ‘build’ it in (again!) I’d already prepared the void left when I removed the wardrobe doors by putting some book shelves down one side, floor to ceiling, with enough space for a standard 3ft mattress width to fit beside. A bit of ‘customisation’ later and we got to this…

 

 

BUT, as I implied at the start of the post, this is just the ‘start’ of the journey for this antique bed!… Oh yes, I still have one ‘side’ and the headboard left and to find out what I am going to do with them you’ll have to ‘tune in’ again soon!…

Hope you’ve enjoyed my first ever ‘blog’ post as it is hopefully the first of many!!…

Thanks for reading, Tristan

Comments are closed